Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Beginning

This blog starts with a closing - on a house.  On October 5, 2010, I closed on my house in the Jordan neighborhood on the north side on Minneapolis.  It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath built in 1920.  I'm not quite sure what style it is - that'll take more research.

The house has been vacant for about a year.  It's a foreclosure bought from the bank (I may talk about my mixed feelings about that later).  That means that the only thing I know about the history of the house is what the house itself can tell me.  What I know so far is that the previous owner had a love of wood paneling and extension cords.  The first floor is paneled with dark wood in the dining room and blond in the living room.  The wiring in the basement has been supplemented with a mess of extension cords.  They're everywhere - even one running from the house to the garage (cleverly disguised to look like a normal overhead wire).  The extension cords and the paneling are on the top of the list to be removed.  Also being removed is the first floor carpeting.  There's hardwood under there - it should see the light of day.

The other obvious issues are:

1. The water and gas have been turned off.  That means the condition of the plumbing and furnace are a mystery.

2.  The dining room ceiling is made up of particle board that's been screwed to the ceiling.  I've no idea what could be under there.

Everything else is cosmetic.  I'm looking forward to putting some effort into making this house shine.  It's going to take a while to get everything done.  Good thing I'm planning on staying for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment