Monday, October 11, 2010

Thank You 15 Inch Stanley Wonder Bar!

Today I'd like to say thank you to whoever invented the Stanley 15 inch Wonder Bar (aka, a flattened crow bar).  I don't know what I would have done without it on Sunday.

My first job was removing the carpet tack strips from the dining room floor.  Two strips held in with 1.5 inch ribbed nails every 6 - 8 inches plus an extra nail on each end of the 3 foot strips.  That carpeting was tacked down so well they could have played a football game on it and it wouldn't have moved.  

The second job I used it for was replacing the deadbolt lock on the back door.  It's definitely not one of the tools they specify on installation instructions, just a tool of last resort.  One of the main screws (the kind that hold the two sides of the lock together) on the deadbolt was stripped.  None of the "easy" fixes worked.  Nor did drilling it out.  I've learned that those screws aren't made of the normal stuff.  The first drill bit melted (it was supposed to be rated for metal), the second bit broke.  This is where the fun starts!  I was able to twist the lock enough to get the wonder bar between the lock and door.  It was such a great feeling when that d**n thing finally broke off!  Woot!  I get to cross "Replace Locks" off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment