Friday, October 8, 2010

Plumbing 1, Melissa 0

The water got turned on today.  I found out the hard way that I have some bad pipes.  Specifically, the ones in the bathroom that go to the bathtub and sink.  What's the hard way?  A waterfall coming through your dining room ceiling.

It turns out that the former owner used PVC for the supply pipes to the bathroom sink and bathtub.  PVC is probably the cheapest and lowest quality material you can use for supply piping.  It doesn't handle cold well and gets brittle as it ages.  My awesome plumber, Berney Salzer, tried to fix the pipes twice before giving up and capping the lines.  The PVC kept splitting after the repair was put in place.  The next step will be to re-plumb the bathroom using PEX.  The nice things about PEX are that it's easier to install than hard pipes and it can handle freezing (if that ever happens).  The even nicer things about PEX are that it's cheaper than copper and has no resale value (aka, no one will ever rip it out to sell for salvage).  I still need to schedule the work on the bathroom but Berney made sure that for now, I had a working toilet and kitchen sink.

Two good things have come out of the "Waterfall Incident".  First, I now know what's under the particle board on the dining room ceiling - Nothing.  It's bare to the studs. This is going to make re-plumbing the bathroom a little easier as we'll have better access.  It also takes away the uncertainty of what was under the particle board.  Second, the hardwood floors in the dining room are in pretty good shape.  I had to tear up the wet carpet and padding.  There was no way I was going to get it dry before it ruined the floor under it.  It'll definitely need refinishing but I was expecting that.

The security system also got installed today.  I feel like the house is a little safer when I'm not there.

List O' Things To Do:

Fix plumbing
Get furnace safety checked and turn on gas 
Plant lilies that my Realtor gave me (I'm a few days late on this on - having a hard time deciding on where to put them).
Clean (de-grime) house
Buy and lay paper to protect the floor
Remove remaining carpeting and paneling
Buy refrigerator
...and a thousand more things.

2 comments:

  1. OMG This EXACT SAME THING happened at my first house! City guy turned the water on and I walked into a waterfall.............

    I had no idea what to do - and I started to cry!

    (I have a feeling you'll deal with it more easily than I did.)

    Good luck and let me know if I can ever help with anything!

    I'm so excited that you started a blog. :-)

    -Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    welcome to Jordan, NoMi! You will love it here, we have the best neighbors! I'm right around the corner from you, and I have a blog too, find it here: nomipassenger.blogspot.com

    Looking forward to meeting you! ~ Megan

    ReplyDelete